icon-rss-large

Mauritius Travel Guide Community | Log in | Register

Subscribe to RSS | Email

Mauritius Demographics

Published on by mori

2.75 ouf of 5
1 2 3 4 5

Vote this post

When we talk about the Mauritius demographics we refer to a multi-ethnic society with the majority of the descendants coming from the Indian subcontinent. There are also many immigrants from China, Great Britain, France, Madagascar, Africa and other countries. English is the official language on the island and all the administrative documents of the government are in English.

French is used in the education and predominates in printed and broadcast media, in affairs and business. Also, the Mauritian Creole is very spoke and considered the country’s native tongue, being used by 90% of the people. It is a language derived from the French language and with influences coming from other dialects.

The African slaves, also important part of the Mauritius demographics, used the pidgin language to communicate with the French masters and of course, with each other. The Mauritians use the Creole language in their everyday life. There are Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Gujarati, Telugu, Bhojpuri, Tamil, Marathi, as well as Chinese dialects such as Mandarin, Hakka and Cantonese, even if in restricted communities.

There are also descendants of the labourers speaking the Indian languages; the labourers were brought during the British rule, from British India. The Mauritius demographics also include the Indo-Mauritians with 70% of the population, when we talk about the combined ethnic groups. The Creoles constitutes the 30% remaining.

The Mauritius demographics include the Chinese and the French, as smaller minorities. About 30.000 Mauritians that are Chinese descents also live in Mauritius, from language groups such as: Cantonese, Mandarin and Hakka. As religion, the Mauritius demographics include the Roman Catholics with 90% of the Sino-Mauritian community, the remaining 10% being Buddhist, the most of them.

There are also the Hinduism, the Islam, the Sikhism and the Adventist-protestants, with smaller percents. In the Mauritius demographics are included the foreign students from different regions of the Indian Ocean and from Europe. The number of the foreign workers has been increasing lately, especially the number of the Chinese women that work in the textile industry, men from Taiwan working in the activities related to harbour and Indian people working in the constructions industry.

More and more foreign people are attracted by the idea of coming and working in Mauritius due to the economic situation that is relatively stable and due to the fact that the immigration policy is not the subject of many debates on the island. in the Mauritius demographics statistics, the age structure is the following one: 0-14 years: 21%8, with female 139.579 and male 145.185, 15-64 years: 70.7%, with female 463.875 and male 457.743 and 65 years and over this age: 7.5%, with female 58.391 and male 38.944. 80.5% of the female population with age over 15 know to write and read and 88.4% of the male with ages over 15 can write and read.

The life expectancy is of 77.65 years at females and 70.53 years for males. The infant mortality rate is of 12.2 deaths per 1.000 live births, in 2010 being born about 15.000 children.